Saturday 19 March 2011

Post No. 246 - Is this the beginning of the beginning for the UN?

Is the United Nation's decisive action with regard to Libya, which led to the backdown by Gaddafi (see here), the beginning of an era of effectiveness for the UN?

I had an exchange of letters with people at the time of terrible massacres in Rwanda, the Rwandan Genocide, over the ineffectiveness of the so-called peace "keepers" from the UN at the time (who really seemed to me to be no more than observers - and that is still my position: theirs was that I was talking about "peace enforcement", which I disagree with, as the peace "keepers" did nothing effective to keep the peace that I could see), and I know of the terrible evil done by McCarthyism to the fledgling UN, and the failures of the League of Nations ... is this the start of something new, where a tyrant can REALISTICALLY be held accountable?

By the way, away from the area of peace, the UN has done some good work in other areas, developmental areas (for instance, I've helped work on water supplies in Africa as a result of the UN's efforts) - maybe not perfect, but still beneficial.

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr
(pronounced "new-MYTH-ear")

This post's photo is yet to be posted.

Tags: peace, United Nations,

First published: Laugardagr, 19th March, 2011

Last edited: Saturday, 19th March, 2011